My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Firefly, Firefly, Addicted to Firefly

Yes, it's that time again: time for Anniina to rave about Firefly and its followup movie, Serenity.



Now folks, if you still don't own these, that's just a damn shame.
If you haven't seen the series or the movie, at least one of them, consider this your message from the 'verse: It is TIME.
If you've seen neither, all I can say is "Damn, you're so TOTALLY missing out, and I don't know if I can associate with you further until you rent and watch one or the other. Sorry, no can do."

For those of you (who are you people??) who are going "What is Firefly/Serenity", see my posting "Firefly" Kind of Day.

Here are some links of interest to those of you who confess yourselves to be "Browncoats":

The Signal - "Firefly" news podcasts.

The Big Damned Flanvention - "Firefly" fan convention '06.

Whedonesque - A Joss Whedon Blog

A Cute video interview with "The Cap'n" - from before the show aired. Gotta love the cap'n.

More shall be added until every last person here is converted into Browncoats, or so help me :P


Seriously though, although it may seem nutty to you how much I love this universe, you might just totally love the show and the movie, so give it a shot, wontcha?

~A

Tags: Firefly | Serenity | Movies

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mophia said...

ruh roh... you know, i've totally been hearing about this for quite awhile. (like since early last year) but somehow never got around to watching them. It seems to fit into my sci-fi type interests so i don't know what's taking me so long... *slaps self*

April 25, 2006 11:41 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

"You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." :P

April 25, 2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

He robbed from the rich
And he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man
And gave him what for
Our love for him now
Ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton
The man they call Jayne

Our Jayne saw the mudders' backs breakin'
He saw the mudders' lament
And he saw the magistrate takin'
Every dollar and leavin' five cents
So he said "you can't do that to my people"
He said "you can't crush them under your heel"
So Jayne strapped on his hat
And in 5 seconds flat
Stole everythin' Boss Higgins had to steal

He robbed from the rich
And he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man
And gave him what for
Our love for him now
Ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton
The man they call Jayne

Now here is what separates heroes
From common folk like you and I
The man they call Jayne
He turned 'round his plane
And let that money hit sky
He dropped it onto our houses
He dropped it into our yards
The man they called Jayne
He stole away our pain
And headed out for the stars

He robbed from the rich
And he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man
And gave him what for
Our love for him now
Ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton
The man they call Jayne.

April 26, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Wow. Mark WINS! I am wickedly impressed :) In the current podcast of "The Signal" Adam Baldwin himself sings it with guitar - very moving. Once more, wow Mark! Se everyone, Mark can stay, he's mongo-cool :)

April 27, 2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

So is this the end of our friendship ??? I don't think that I am going to buy (or even rent) Firefly/Serenity...
No can do. :) I still have nightmares about that scary sci-fi movie that we saw in LA.

btw, I am going to see super-cool Swedish band Katatonia tonight in Tavastia.

hugs from you (ex???) best friend, Kiu

p.s. Maybe every person should have AT LEAST one friend, who isn't into sci-fi ??? I could be that...

April 27, 2006 2:13 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Umm... Okay, now I know you're still bitter about "Event Horizon" we saw in LA. And I totally agree, I hated that movie too, it was creepy and scary, and probably the most gruesomely violent sci-fi flick ever. But "Firefly" and "Serenity" are not steeped in horror and fear... they're more like comedies and dramas and adventure... like Indiana Jones in space - and there's no aliens and you don't have to understand space technology or anything.

For the folks who don't understand the significance here, Katja and I have been friends for 18 years, and she's my best friend. So... This is a dire situation :P

April 28, 2006 4:59 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

To KATJA:
By the way, I will absolutely DIE if I have to wait until Halloween to see you. I've been grieving about not seeing you in the summer, cause I like don't know what I would do with a summer without my Kiu.... It's just not right! I haven't had a summer without you for YEARS, and those summers without you SUCKED. So. I need you to come. If you can get the time off, I'll get you a ticket, but I can't make a summer without you, and that's it.

April 28, 2006 5:01 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

I KNOW !!! Lately I've been having dreams (at least once a week), that I'm hanging with you guys somewhere in Pennsylvania... Or gardening your backyard; I hope that it looks good now :) And I can get my own tickets. Remember, I work in a travel agency :) I just can't take any vacation from work and that sucks big time !!! (picture my sad face here)
And I just can't come there for a weekend the way that I can go and see my sister or Tina in London.

Well, I have to stop now and go to work. We'll find a way to see each other, we always have. And remember your inner smile :) And say hi to everbody, especially to Ariel and Boo.

April 29, 2006 1:32 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

Hi Katja, work stinks, doesn't it! (If gruesome violence is bad for you just be careful at the end of Serenity, it gets a little bloody there) otherwise it is actually really cool (though, I am a 'sci-fi geek')

April 29, 2006 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home