My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Rainy Day Rowling Rumors from Reuters

(Yes, I am going nuts with the rain, and cannot help but rhyme and alliterate compulsively)wizard

Ahh, Katja just sent me an email about Rowling's plans for Book 7 of the Harry Potter saga. I'll quote it from Reuters:

 Rowling says 2 characters die in final Potter book
Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:19pm ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Children's author J.K. Rowling has revealed that at least two characters will die in the seventh and final installment of her bestselling Harry Potter series, but was careful not to say who.

Children and adults are expected to rush and buy the final Harry Potter novel in their tens of millions when it is complete, and if the publication of the sixth book is anything to go by, secrecy surrounding the plot will be tight.

Rowling has already said that the final chapter of the seventh book was written long ago.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly," she said in an interview broadcast on Monday on Britain's Channel 4. "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series.

"I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."
 


So, naturally Katja and I feel that Harry is one of the ones to go... I mean, c'mon, she loves the idea of the epic, and the epic hero always dies heroically at the end, right? Following the Campbellian formula, you need the apotheosis of the hero to really kick some epic butt.  But who is the other? wizardI'm going to vote on Hagrid... that way she'll have everyone weeping for weeks. I have to admit here and now that when Dumbledore died, I cried intermittently for about two weeks. Every once in a while, out of nowhere. Similarly, I do so miss Richard Harris in the movie role — Michael Gambon is a pale mockery of Dumbledore compared to the great wisdom and heart of Richard Harris.

That said, for those of you wanting to read previous news items and speculation on the contents of Book 7, visit this Wikipedia page.

*Sigh* Betcha there's a spell for making this rain STOP! Witches, wizards, warlocks, if you know one, do send an owl.

~A

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Katja said...

The other is (of course) Voldemort.

I did not know this:
Helena Bonham Carter to play Bellatrix Lestrange in HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX.

What do you think, is Lyydia old enough (it's her 8th birthday soon) to get her first HP book ???

June 28, 2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I think that's a good choice, if they give HBC better hair - a grand wig is in order, instead of the rat's nest she's been sporting lately.

I think Lyydia is old enough for Bk 1 - it shouldn't be too too scary. I say induct her, so then you have a little expert to chat about HP with.

I'm stuck here in the land of grownups, where only the select few are in touch enough with their inner children to actually read children's books.

Luckily, these choice people visit this blog and are always up for "a bit of silliness" :)

*mwah*

June 28, 2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Well, of course Voldemort dies - I don't think there's any doubt of that, I think it's Harry, Voldemort, and....

Vik thinks Sirius is going to come back through that portal - since we never saw him die (that being the "reprieve" she spoke of, and then die saving Harry.

I agree Sirius isn't dead, but I don't think she'll kill him off again. Hagrid still my #1 contender. Or, maybe poor little Neville will bite it. Who knows?

June 29, 2006 3:12 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

Sirius is NOT dead !!! And he comes back !!! What about Ron or Hermione ? Or the other Weasley's ?
OK, we are sounding like 10-year olds again, aren't we :)

June 29, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Yeah Vik was voting for both Ron and Hermio-ninny, but I don't think so. Plus, Ron is her favorite character, so doubt she'll off him.

And no, we just sound like 13 :)

June 30, 2006 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home