My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Friday, July 07, 2006

TGIF - Thank God It's Firefly Day 7

Serenity Now Equality NowY'all remember I was going to see the movie "Serenity" at a charity screening, aka SERENITY NOW/EQUALITY NOW, that benefitted Equality Now, an organization with a goal of empowering women and girls around the world.  The current tally is that the Browncoats raised over $67,000 around the world, with numbers still coming in.

For those of you still asking
"What is Firefly?"


Umm, who are you?

It was amazing seeing the BDM on the BDS (Big Damn Movie on the Big Damn Screen)!  When I saw it last fall in the theatre, I didn't yet know I was a Browncoat — I had not seen "Firefly" when it was on TV, but the film made me an immediate and devout lover of the 'verse.  After seeing "Firefly", first on Comcast onDemand, then on the box set that David sent me, I was a goner.  To see the BDM on the BDS was moving.  I was moved to tears quite a few times — and how awesome to see the movie with other Browncoats in the audience, who laughed at all the right spots, got all the jokes, and cheered when our boat first crossed the screen. It was SHINY!

One thing I wish they had done at our screening, which they apparently did in several others, was show the clip of Joss Whedon explaining about "Equality Now" and telling "why he writes such strong female characters," the question he gets more than any other. I'll post it here at the bottom, so watch it through to the end, because his final answers on the topic are perfect.  Go Joss Whedon!

On Whedonesque, a site for fans of all things Whedon, Whedon posted a thank-you to the fans, and hinted that the first official draft of "Wonder Woman" is finished!  He also made an oblique reference to Morena Baccarin (Inara on FF/S) which has the fans thinking she may have been shortlisted to play WW! Can't wait. Gorramit, I'd donate a few body parts to be in a Joss Whedon project.

*A reverent pause while "yours, truly" falls into a reverie*

Apologies.  Here, Joss Whedon (intro'd by Meryl Streep):



Tags: Firefly | Serenity | Movies

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mophia said...

hmm... i still haven't seen the series. i'm a slacker.

July 08, 2006 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home