My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Home, Sweet Home

Two weeks is a long and adequate time to visit a foreign city at a time — one can only do so much sightseeing at a stretch, for example. Yet clearly, it is too short a time for visiting home, as I've come to realize.

Between the relatives and friends who all would like to see you on your once-yearly visit, you'd also want to just spend time with your family doing normal 'family stuff' — barbecuing, watching movies, playing games, shopping, etc. (and not necessarily in that order). However, time is an issue, and somehow everyone does and will feel shortchanged.

The biggest issue is, I think, that I'm here when nobody is on vacation, so I can only see people on evenings and weekends. Friday, we had a family BBQ which was nice, although it rained, and we ended up eating pizza instead; Saturday my sister had a party for her bridesmaids (we watched wedding pictures and videos of a year ago); Sunday my uncle (also my godfather) came up with my grandma, Monday I met with my BFF Katja, and tonight my mom treated me to a pedicure and facial. Nice!

So lots of fun stuff, but few nights left, because Friday-Wed (my return date) we're going to a summer rental with my mom and dad. Tomorrow I meet with my friend Tanja, then head over to my sister's to eat French delicacies cooked up by her Parisian husband, Thursday I meet with my aunt (also godmother) and then go to the "Night of the Arts" in Helsinki, when everything in the city is open and filled with artisans, artists, craftsmen, actors, musicians, you name it, all night. Friday we're off to the summer house, so my time, in a way, is up. It seems no matter how long I stay, it is always too short. I have had a lot of time to just sit around reading books, though, and will give y'all a full report when I get home and can post pictures again. Hope you are all well, ~A

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark A. said...

Going home always tugs at your heart...at least it does mine.

Glad you're having a good time.

August 23, 2006 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home