My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

10 Things I Love - A Meme

On Stefanie's blog, Stefanie Says, she had posted a great meme about "Things you love"—the trick is, that you get assigned a letter (Stefanie's was 'L'). I de-lurked, and screamed "Me, me, gimme a letter!" And benevolently, Stefanie threw a letter at me. Mine is 'T'— so, without further ado,

10 Things I Love, that Begin with the Letter 'T':

1. THEATRE.  As an audience member, there's nothing like the lights finally going down, the hush that comes over everyone, and another reality spreading before one's eyes. For a few hours, one can get involved in a story not one's own, and experience thoughts and emotions one might not have had that day otherwise. In movie theaters, a similar thing occurs, but somehow the experience is a bit blunted, because it is polished, finite, without the element of surprise and danger that is always inherent in a live performance.  As an actor, being able to live other lives, in a shared 'unreality' with the other actors and the audience is also very special—on nights when everything really comes together, a bit of magic is created, and it is that feeling that draws everyone back to the theatre time and again.

2. TRUE LOVE.  And by this I don't only mean The Princess Bride variety, although I do love that too. I think 'True Love' can range anywhere from the Tristan and Isolde and Romeo and Juliet kind of passionate amour to old couples who hold hands and can take each other for granted, to the wonder of puppies, babies, to the first roses in the spring, to the best friend's voice on the line, to the calling one's mom after a sad movie, to an old lady's surprised face when you hold a door open for her, to saving an ant from drowning in one's coffee cup. I'm a hopeless romantic, perhaps, but I think true love is something that one feels for mankind, womankind, nature, everything. Except when I'm driving. Then, stay out of my &^#$@& way :P

3. TANGERINES.  Tangerines come to the stores about a month before Christmas—so for me, they always speak of the expectation of Christmas, which is my favorite holiday (to answer your next question, yes, I believe in Santa). If you get the ones from Morocco, they're sweet and without seeds. I can eat about 10 at a sitting. This was problematic when I was a kid, because I was very allergic to all citrus fruit; I still am a bit allergic (I get a pink rash on my face that makes it look like the world map), but I wants me my tangerines!

4. TUPPERWARE.  Heh, as corny as that sounds, it's true; must be a remnant from my childhood—my mom had a big collection, and there was always just the right dish for leftovers, mixing bowls for making cookies, containers for lunch meats, jams, you name it. I loved to 'burp' the lids when I was little, and I still do.

5. TONY MORRISON BOOKS.  Truth be told, at the end of each Toni Morrison novel, my first reaction is, "HUH?"  But that is part of their fascination—they don't open up easily, and trying to find one's own answer to them is an interesting journey. Plus, her prose is rigorous and rich, the characters captivating. No moment reading Toni Morrison is a wasted moment.

6. TRAVEL.  New places, languages, cultures, people, foods, sights, sounds, art, nature, cities! So many fresh ideas, such a chance to breathe!

7. TOLKIEN.  I don't think this needs any clarification. Tolkien. *reverent silence*

8. TUDOR HISTORY.  There's a subject one could study all one's life and never get to the bottom of it! I had a great professor, Professor Horle, once for a Tudor History class, and he could throw amazing amounts of knowledge at you, but make it so interesting you felt like you were listening to him spin a yarn, and you never knew how much you were actually learning. Henry VII defeating Richard III at the battle of Bosworth Field, marrying Elizabeth of York and thus ending the Wars of the Roses, and going on to resuscitate the English economy. Henry VII's unfortunate son, Prince Arthur, dying before he could become a king, his younger brother Harry becoming the epitome of all sleezy bastards as King Henry VIII, divorcing and beheading his six wives, and spending the treasury on frivolous wars and a life of luxury. His sickly son Edward becoming King for a few years, only to be followed by his sister Bloody Mary, who took a hard Catholic line and executed every dissenter in the kingdom until her death from ovarian cancer. The Tudor line receiving its crowning glory in Queen Elizabeth I, who, taking a country on the brink of bankruptcy and civil war, ushered in an era of peace and prosperity, which afforded the arts to flourish, bringing us Shakespeare, Marlowe, Ralegh—at her death England was arguably the richest and most powerful country in the world. *cough* I got a bit carried away there, which brings me to...

9. TATTLING.  That is, talking, prattling away on subjects near and dear. *blush*

10. TWILIGHT.  My favorite word in the English language, as well as my favorite time of day; "the magic hour"; "the purpling hour"; the twin-light, the half-light. Always makes me think of fairy wings.

Okay, so perhaps my list was a bit dorky—'T' was harder than I expected. Everyone else's turn. Holler and I'll throw a letter your way :)
 
Ta-Ta,
Anniina
 
P.S. I can't believe I left out Tim Gunn, Toys, and Two-for-one Sales!
 

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Katja said...

I saw that you tried to call me, but at the moment I'm having a wardrobe/make-up crisis !!! It is our Christmas party today and the theme is ´80s. Everybody else is dressing like Molly Ringwald in "Sixteen Candles", but Tania and me decided to go as goth as we can :) Bad idea ! I have so much make-up on, my lipstick is fire-engine red (yes !!! I know) and I am wearing the most absurd looking tights you can think of; they are lacelike with flowers on !!! I can not leave the house looking like this !!! This is total chaos; this much make-up is making me feel really, really bizarre.

December 16, 2006 7:26 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

ROFL - ok, this is how you survive it: pretend you're in a dream sequence, or a flashback, a la "Romy and Michele's" I would PAY to see you with that lipstick!

December 16, 2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

You are a kinder person than I if you even think to save an ant from your coffee cup, much less to consider that true love. ;-)

Lovely list, though.

I have no idea what my favorite word is... I should consider this.

December 16, 2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Thanks for letting me play Stefanie :)

December 16, 2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

I survived (almost), my feet are really hurting because of the devil's boots I wore yesterday :) The party was really nice, we had sauna and pool ! Good food, good music and fun people. Plus I got tons of compliments, even my lipstick was a hit :)

December 17, 2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Please tell me you took a picture>>?

[For those who don't know, Katja is descended from a long line of photographers, takes lots of pictures, but HATES having pictures of herself taken. In our 5 million years of friendship, I think I have 1 picture of the two of us together.]

Please tell me you got one of the lipstick?? :)

December 17, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Oh my god, I just realized from your tone of "voice" - you met someone? I bet you did, you saucy minx you :)

December 17, 2006 10:32 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

Nope, I didn't take any pics, but other people did. I'm not sure I want to see them... And I hate being in photos, because our Dad takes too many pictures of us. Thank god we have Aino, Antti and Ada now :)

And nope again, it was just people from work and that would be REALLY stupid.

I just got home from my Dad's and I'm soooooooo tired. Had to play with the A-team (Aino, Antti + Ada). Aino is so loving Antti + Ada; she talks baby-talk to them and smiles to them all the time. We were trying to figure out, what she was talking to them. Aino was super-cute, she was wearing her polar-bear outfit; it has little ears and a little tail, too.

December 17, 2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

have you checked the Boo pic from my blog ?

December 17, 2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger The Lion Sleeps Tonight said...

May I have a letter?

December 18, 2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Alright, your letter is... S

December 18, 2006 2:02 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

Tupperware - I love that one! I didn't think there was anyone else out there who might consider food storage containers something very important in their lives...But where would last night's leftovers be without it? :)

December 18, 2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Heheh 3C - I'm glad someone else appreciates good storage :P

December 18, 2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Good storage is almost as much important an good cooking from good ingredients to me as well, but Tupperware is plastic and I avoid plastic whenever I can.

December 18, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

What do you store things in?

December 18, 2006 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home