My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Rhapsody for an Insomniac

Those of you who've been around for a while know I go through the occasional bout of insomnia. I did a brief survey of the past blog year, and wouldn't you know it, I was having insomnia exactly one year ago today, too. I guess it's my own form of Seasonal Affective Disorder, or something.

Any-who, what I did last night instead of sleeping, was listen to music at YouTube. The cool thing about YouTube is also that not all of these are the original videos — some are live performances, some are set to entirely new videos. Here's a brief list of some of the songs I chose:


  • Five for Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy) (movie clips)
  • Norah Jones - Don't Miss You (live)
  • Green Day - When September Ends (animated)
  • Counting Crows - Accidentally in Love (animated)
  • 3 Doors Down - Here Without You (orig.)
  • Tori Amos - Leather (live)
  • Chris Isaak - I Wonder (live)
  • Cyndi Lauper - True Colors (animated)
  • Matchbox 20 - Back to Good (live)
  • Suzanne Vega - Gypsy
  • U2 - With or Without You (orig.)
  • Enya - May it Be (LOTR clips)
  • John Williams: Binary Sunset (Luke's Theme) (Star Wars)
  • Danny Elfman - Spider-Man 2 (animated)
  • Kiri te Kanawa - O Mio Babbino Caro (live)
  • Josh Groban - Gira con me (animated)
  • Maria Callas - Un bel di (music only)
  • Andrea Bocelli - Nessun Dorma (live)
     

    Labels: ,

  • 3 Comments:

    Blogger Mark A. said...

    I like to go through and tag all the videos that I like, and set them to a playlist. Then you can just play that playlist and it's like you've got all those songs on iTunes, plus you have the videos. Incidentally, have you ever played with Pandora? www.pandora.com It's a pretty neat service. I've found quite a few new CDs that I have to buy because of it.

    February 01, 2007 2:41 AM  
    Blogger onlyjokinglasse said...

    I can never listen to Mio Babbino without crying a little. And Kiri must be the best to perform it.

    February 01, 2007 3:24 AM  
    Blogger Anniina said...

    Mark - I didn't know you could do a playlist! Thanks for the tip, I'm def gonna do that. And gonna go check out Pandora.

    Lasse - I think Kiri's is the best too. I remember when Adrian first played it to me, it moved me greatly. Puccini in general makes my soul ache, in a good way. Did you listen to "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's Turandot? Many people prefer Pavarotti singing it, but for my money this song was written for Boccelli. I can't believe mom has seen him in concert twice! It's my dream to see him in concert some day.

    February 01, 2007 4:14 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home