My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rewarding Yourself

Ancrene Wiseass, a medievalist whose blog I like to read, started an interesting thread on her blog about rewarding oneself for a job well done. That made me think of the Eeva Kilpi poem (my mom's favorite) that translates from Finnish roughly as:

 Going to sleep, I think:
Tomorrow I will heat up the sauna,
Pamper myself,
Walk, swim, wash,
Invite myself to evening tea,
Speak to myself in a friendly and admiring way, praising:
You brave little woman,
I believe in you.
- Eeva Kilpi -

Some of the things I like to do to pamper myself are:

Buying:

  • a new bookmark ($2)
  • a gel-pen in a pretty color ($1)
  • a fruity or flowery soap ($4)
  • a nice candle that makes the house smell like cookies ($2-8)

If I've been really good, I'll maybe treat myself to a mani-pedi ($35 here) or let myself enter Barnes & Noble ($$$); I also like baking, so maybe I'll make some orange-cranberry muffins and eat far too many of them in one sitting. Starbucks, of course, is a perpetual favorite.

Oh, and before you point it out, I admit, these are all material rewards. I'm shallow, what can I say?  No; the other, rewarding non-material things I already make time for, such as walking with the doggies, taking a bubble bath, watching movies or TV with yummies, reading fluffy chick lit, killing orcs in my jammies, etc.

Anyway, back to the material rewards :P  I had a little extra cash a few weeks back, so I visited another source of splurging—eBay (or, as it is affectionately also known, AnninaBay). I bought an artisan wooden necklace of a rune found on Lappish Shaman drums. The rune is of the shaman/witch doctor, and is thought to bring both good health and fertility. I must say I'm feeling pretty healthy atm, but no, I'm not pregnant :P Whether or not it works as a talisman, I thought it a gorgeous work of art. Here's a pic:


If you click on that, it will take you to the current eBay page for the item. It wasn't bad at all; with shipping, around $13.75. The folks running the store are nice, but their descriptions are on the embellished side —there is no "fertility god" in the mythology. My guess is that they came up with that from the Native American Kokopelli myth, Kokopelli being both a shaman and a fertility god. But, I'll let you know if I suddenly start expecting quadruplets.

Now, what I'd like to know from you guys is how do you reward yourselves after working hard, or succeeding in something, or just to ward off the blues? What do you do to pamper yourselves and say, "hey, you're pretty cool after all"?
 

8 Comments:

Blogger The Lion Sleeps Tonight said...

That book, comic, or burger that I can't quite afford.

Sitting in my car on the mountain, pen in hand, the city stretched out below me and the stars above, and music on the radio.

Curled up on the couch with a favorite move, two kitties nestled in beside me.

The sound of a voice.

February 25, 2007 2:00 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Those things sound really nice, Raven
(^_^)

February 25, 2007 3:17 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Purchases:

Going out to dinner.

Used to be buying books, but Per and I don't do that anymore thanks to a mutually agreed upon ban of book buying until we have read most of the ones we have.

Cappuccino.

Scones.

Yoga things.

Pens.

Art.


Non-Purchases:

Sleeping until I wake up.

Reading Televisionwithoutpity.com

Long, hot shower.

Napping.

Coffee, Eggos, Per, Six Feet Under (or West Wing or Sopranos or Deadwood) in bed.

February 25, 2007 7:34 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Awesome list, Emily. I used to be big on Eggos, but pop tarts are now more my thing - the strawberry ones with frosting. Smart on the not buying books until the existing ones are read. That's generally my policy too - but then I read all and buy a bunch in spurts. What are "yoga things" - I have my yoga mat and a few yoga pants and videos, but "yoga things" sound marvellous, where can I get some?

February 26, 2007 1:50 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Material things:
chocolate
making a nice cake
buying some unsual food
buying clothes
work-out until endorfin kicks in

Non-material:
reading an interesting book
walking in the forest
meditation
playing games either on PC or with family
and finally...
READING BLOGS!!! (NONE OF YOU MENTIONED IT? HEY!!!?!)

February 26, 2007 3:20 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

That rune is beautiful !

February 26, 2007 3:21 AM  
Blogger Lydia said...

I really liked that poem, which I found in your reply to AW, which landed me here. Thanks for sharing that.

February 26, 2007 3:27 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Awesome suggestions! Welcome to the blog, American Girl :) I liked your blog very much, just visited.

February 26, 2007 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home