My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday 5 Meme

I'm several book reviews, a few memes, and other blog entries behind on what I've intended on posting, but I've been submerged in the Wars of the Roses. Don't ask. I might blog on that some other time.

Instead, I saw what Stefanie Says today, and I wanna make a list of:

5 THINGS I'D GET/DO IF I WERE DISGUSTINGLY RICH:

  1. A New House. This house would be spic-n-span, have a lovely garden, maybe a pool (complete with poolboy), and be somewhere warm. It would have wood floors throughout, and a good old-fashioned Library, à la the one Henry Higgins has in My Fair Lady. [img]
  2. Hire a Housekeeper. He/she wouldn't live with me, 'cause that just wouldn't wash, but this said housekeeper would come daily, straighten up, clean, do the dishes, do the laundry and the groceries. Alternately, I could hire a House Elf, but I don't think House Elves exist on this continent, and to get one to relocate would probably cost an obnoxious sum indeed.
  3. Open a Starbucks in Helsinki. There isn't one yet! This would insure that the riches continued and also that I could get a Starbucks fix when visiting my folks.
  4. Trip Around the World. Katja's always booking these for people, and I'd love to make one. Except since I would be filthy-rich, I could take a year to do this, and stay at the places that I found I liked a longer time.
  5. My Own Theatre. The theatre company would perform nothing but plays that I chose. We would have a Main Stage and a Second Stage, so we could do big Shakespeare productions, as well as intimate contemporary pieces, and everything in between that would happen to appeal to me. I'd also be so rich as to have the best costumers and technical people, and could afford to pay my actors proper living wages!

I don't think I'll ever get any of these things, but they're fun to think about sometimes. On my current budget, their equivalents are:
1) some pansies to plant tomorrow, 2) a trip to the dry cleaners, 3) a cup of Finnish coffee I just brewed, 4) browsing travel sites for trips I'll never take, and 5) browsing auditions on Backstage.com.

WHAT WOULD YOU GET/DO IF YOU WERE DISGUSTINGLY RICH?
 

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 21, 2007 4:26 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I like how the current equivalents are also listed. I will do the meme soon, too!

ps. I especially like the idea of a library room.

pps. and if you come over us, you'd got to see our wooden-floored rooms. 2/3 have wood on the floor. I never thought that could be a thing to dream about but I agree, nothing beats a wooden floor.

April 21, 2007 4:27 AM  
Blogger onlyjokinglasse said...

A cup of Finnish coffee is a very good idea. If you are Finnish.

April 22, 2007 2:31 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

One of these days (when I'm disgustingly rich, certainly) I will come visit, SF :)
Yes, Lasse, people seem to complain my coffee is too strong. I think that's not possible!

April 22, 2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Hungarian coffee is also said to be too strong for foreingers. I don't drink any, so I can't relate.
but I will take Anniina to a coffe so that she can give it a try herself.

April 23, 2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Anniina, please, please, PLEASE, for the love of all that is good and holy in the universe, tell me you would not poison your homeland with a Starbucks. Ugh. I know I'm on a hopeless one-ninja crusade against them, but that place is like a cold sore on the face of society. Sure the coffee's okay, but its just okay. Its not the orgasmic, cure for cancer, donkey ride to heaven, bluebird of happiness everyone gives it credit for. Any mom-and-pop coffee shop can give you the same coffee, and often better. Besides, every time they open a store, at least two independent, local mom-and-pop coffee shops go out of business, because everyone rushes over to Starbucks to wait in a longer line and pay twice as much FOR THE SAME DAMN COFFEE. Starbucks is like the Wal-Mart of coffee shops, except worse; unlike Wal-Mart, they don't offer their customers better values than their competition in the slightest. They don't even pretend to. AND they stole their name from Battlestar Galactica, and yet there is not a single tribute to that show anywhere in any Starbucks I've ever been in. I CRY FOUL! Starbucks must be stopped.

Click here to got to CBLDF and learn more about the enemy.

April 23, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I'm sorry Chris, they've brainwashed me with the tasty foam on top of my latte, I can't go there with you.

Speaking of Galactica... how's about Starbuck coming back from the dead?

April 24, 2007 6:45 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I'm with Chris on this one.
Goodbye, Anniina!

April 24, 2007 7:54 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

vitsin kiihkoilijat, lisää kahvia tänne !!!

The world's biggest coffee drinkers - Finns drink 11kg per capita.

So I wouldn't mind, if we had at least one Starbucks in Helsinki - I want my grande cappucino !

April 24, 2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Starbuck is dead?! GOOD LORD, WOMAN, I'VE BEEN WATCHING THEM ON DVD!! I don't have cable, and I can't see them as they come out. I've been waiting ever so {im}patiently for season 3 be released, and up until just a few seconds ago, I'd managed to hear almost nothing about the whole third year! AHHGGG!!

Oh, man, I need to compose myself...

Its not your fault; you couldn't possibly have known that I'm a Luddite with no cable TV. Just please don't tell me anything else. I'm beggin' ya...

April 24, 2007 4:26 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

OMG, I could not POSSIBLY IMAGINE you hadn't seen season 3! OMG, I'm so sorry. But no, I never said she was dead, I said "coming back from the dead" which may be figurative.

April 24, 2007 8:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Totally not your fault in the slightest. I should never have brought it up, then it wouldn't have been discussed. That's my penalty for not being more careful.

April 26, 2007 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home