My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dieting Day 2: A Little Easier

First of all, let me thank you, each and every one, who posted responses to my diet post. Your overwhelming support and kindness, as well as good tips, made me feel really great. As everyone who's ever dieted knows, it's tough going, especially when you first start, and the feelings of aloneness and self-loathing don't help. The fact that everyone rallied made a big difference for me. Thank you.

Today has been easier. The carb cravings weren't as bad as yesterday (although they're still pretty harsh), and going to the grocery store assured that I could choose foods I liked, which fell into the "good foods." I figured I don't have to eat things I hate, I just have to find foods I like that aren't bad for me or my waistline.

I bought bananas, apples, an orange, 2 kiwi fruit, baby greens, cucumber (Canadian, or hot house cucumber, the kind we have in Finland, not the awful American kind), Roma tomatoes, and baby carrots. I also bought two different juices, which I'll be judicious with.

Here's what I had for dinner tonight (and yes, I know I should have been less liberal with the salad dressing and butter, and I should not have eaten the skin—baby steps). Before anyone freaks out, I didn't eat that whole portion, except for the salad; that's where the doggies come in and help mommy diet.


Yes, it was as good as it looks. If anyone is ever in town, come over and I'll make it for you.

For tomorrow's dinner I got tofu, believe it or not. They make this tofu "ground beef" that is a pretty near substitute for real meat, it actually tastes good. Not that I'm going to stop eating meat, but I thought that might be a good protein boost a few times a week.

I think this whole life change thing is gonna work.

~A

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

In my book that was not a big portion at all... I could eat that twice for a dinner anytime :)))
congratulations for the bravery and on the whole thing of dieting again!
*keeps fingers crossed*
re:tofu
why would it be so unbelievable?
are they made of gm-soybean, btw?
do you believe that soybean is suitable for human consumption at all?
for I'm not :-P
sorry for the sweep of questions over you...

May 23, 2007 3:39 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Tofu=unbelievable, I guess, because I'm a meat-n-potatoes kinda gal.

What are gm-soybeans? The box says they do not use soybeans created with biotechnology, but other than that, they don't specify the kind of bean they use. Here's the product directly on their website, so you can see the specifics:

Smart Ground

Yeah, I believe soybeans are good in moderation - but one must be careful not to overdo the tofu - friend of mine went vegan and did too much tofu, then developed a horrible tofu allergy (which her western med doctor could not identify, and was only diagnosed when she went to a Chinese medicine doc who said it's actually more common than folks know).

May 23, 2007 3:51 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Heh, now I know what gm-beans meant. Guess I shoulda read their "ingredients" page, which states:

Lightlife is committed to providing our consumers with soy products that are Identity Preserved (IP)* and do not include genetic modification of soybeans.

May 23, 2007 3:55 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

yup, I think most soybeans are genetically engineered plants. Shame.
but if there is non gmo soybeans are available that's ok.

May 23, 2007 5:28 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

No, they say they do NOT use gmo beans :)

May 23, 2007 10:13 AM  
Blogger Jarod said...

Whenever I diet, I find it is fun to look at it like a Klingon torture ritual. That's right. Around 8:00, when the cravings hit hard, I sit on the couch with legs folded, shirt off, and say "Take the pain. Take it, you wimp!!", I clench my teeth, and allow myself to fully feel the intensity of the cravings. Feel it and conquer.
It then becomes kind of fun, in a bizarre way. I'm not kidding, by the way, it works. I did the same thing when I quit smoking.

Another thing you can do is when the cravings hit, think about the millions of people in this world who would kill for a can of tuna.

May 23, 2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Jarod said it so right.

May 23, 2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Lol, I like your Klingon Mind Trick. I will try it. And yes, I had thought about that too: how lucky I am to have the luxury to whine about my excess weight, caused by eating yummies, while other people would kill to have that problem, or indeed even a can of tuna.

May 23, 2007 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home