My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

All Quiet on the Western Front

Hey folks, yeah I'm still alive and kicking. Sorry for being so much in absentia this month, just very busy. Last night I also got a flu or some weird bug. I started having chills and body aches and have been in bed for nearly 24 hrs straight; but I've no runny nose, no other symptoms, just a low-grade fever (I think it's low grade - I don't own a thermometer). I do feel like someone beat me up with a baseball bat while I was sleeping. Weirdness!

The costuming is going OK. Not great, but ok. Having little to no budget is hard for a perfectionist. Love my director, who now answers his phone with "Hello, Costuming Goddess" - strokes my fragile ego. I've been on stage with many of the actors before, so they're fun to work with. Have one difficult actress in a minor role who, if she doesn't watch out, will be attired in puke green. What these fledgling divas don't seem to understand is that the one person you NEVER piss off is the costumer; the costumer can be your best friend or your worst enemy. My philosophy as a costumer is I want the actors to have costumes that support the characters as they (and the director of course) see it, and I want everyone to look damn good. But even Shakespeare said, "Hell hath no fury like a costumer scorned" (ok, fine, I'm taking liberties with that, but I'm sure Shakespeare thought it!).

My daddy is coming for a visit on his summer vacation! Yay! My mom's going to visit her friends in Hungary, so she won't be coming this time, but that's ok - she just visited in December. My dad and I will be playing computer games, going to the movies and renting videos, eating brekkie at IHOP, shopping at Ross and TJMaxx, and maybe do a little home improvement around the house. Some day we're going to have our own painting firm called "Jokinen & Son" (we haven't decided conclusively which one of us is going to be "Son", but we do know that we're getting a sparkling van, either red or white). Ok so we're not probably ever gonna go pro, but it's our little inside joke/dream thingy.

That's about all she wrote. And so I leave you.

XO,
A

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

I did notice I hadn't heard from you in a while. The costuming sounds fun, even if it is a tad frustrating. And... painting firm?? You enjoy painting enough to make a career of it?? I'm assuming you mean wall painting and not the artsy kind, right? (I'm assuming that based on the clip art and not based on any doubts about your artistic prowess.)

June 14, 2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

No, we don't like painting at all, but we're good at it :P And we'd definitely not make a career of it (I'll keep doing literature, my dad will keep doing medicine) but it's nice to think of a fallback position :)

June 14, 2007 11:31 PM  
Blogger onlyjokinglasse said...

What do you mean we don't like painting?! It's fun as long as the paint is water soluble. Easier to wash the floors, your hands, hair and face...If I was not in Medical Sales, I would most probably be a painter. Like my father was. And I don't mean pictures. And The Van would be red.

June 15, 2007 6:54 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Those are great plans to do with a daddy - my votes are going for doing the house. That would be that best fun one can have with a daddy.
Even good old William would agree with me on that in a nice stanza.
Get well, Anniina!

June 15, 2007 8:03 AM  
Blogger Jarod said...

I like the puke green idea. Maybe stencile a kick me sign (?)

June 15, 2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

I helped paint my parent's patio or whatever we call it now :)

June 15, 2007 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home